Monday, March 7, 2011

Expert Book Reviews

Since I read faster than most people I know (and I'm counting babies and puppies here), I thought I'd do us all a favor and provide quick reviews of some books I've read in the last month (for pleasure-- I won't bore you with the ones I read for research).

Drinking; A Love Story: Life changing.  Amazing.

Water For Elephants: Sucked (but it had its moments.  OK, moment).

Roseannearchy: Unfinishable (that woman is fucking insane, and not in a good way).

The Seven Daughters of Eve: Sucked, but readable if you're into anthropology

Another Bullshit Night in Suck City: Great. Not as great as I'd heard, but pretty great.

The Memory Palace: Sucked.  Aspects of it were interesting, but honest to God, I never thought I'd say this, but can I get a straight forward story here?

The King's Speech: unfinishable. I'll wait til the movie comes to Netflix, thanks.

Privilege and Scandal: Semi interesting if you're into British Royal history.  I happen to be, so I found it ok.

Duchess: See above (I was on a week long British history thing, ok?)

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother: if you've ever had a kid, wished you could smack a kid, loved kids, or all of the above, read this book right now.

The Last Station: read it twice.  Watched the movie.  Twice. Amazing.

The Warmth of Other Suns: Toni Morrison recommended it.  Toni Morrison is smoking crack. Unfinishable.

The Other Wes Moore: I finished it, but barely.  I never thought I'd say this about a book detailing poverty and crime and their effect on society, but this book sucked. It sucked real bad.

Right now I'm on Hiroshima in the Morning.  I'll reserve my opinion until I'm finished, but so far it's not terribly impressive.

That is all for now. If you disagree with me, by all means post your opinions to your own blog (which I don't read anyway).

No comments:

Post a Comment